This information is regarding virtual instruction options for students, as required by state law and board policy IGCD. Gasconade County R-II School District has established a registration deadline of Friday, August 5, 2022 (for fall semester) and December 2, 2022 (for spring semester) for students who wish to apply for virtual instruction through MOCAP. Parents can learn more and apply for virtual instruction through the GCR2 website. Don't hesitate to contact your building administrator if you have any questions.
Gasconade County R-2 Virtual Education (MOCAP) Enrollment Procedures
MOCAP (Missouri Course Access Program) provides the opportunity for online learning. Courses are delivered over the internet by Missouri certified teachers and are designed to offer Missouri students access to a wide range of quality courses and flexibility in scheduling. MOCAP is not a school and does not offer a complete high school diploma program.
MOCAP allows Missouri to:
- Expand the range of courses and opportunities offered to students
- Offer courses for students where there are no qualified teachers to teach the course
- Offer students a course not offered by their school district
- Provide courses for students who have schedules that prevent them from taking a course when it is offered
- Present high-quality instruction to students who are in alternative education settings or on home and hospital instruction
- Provide additional support and extended time to students who failed to achieve in regular courses
- Provides equity across programs and school in the quality of instruction MOCAP offers “any time, any place” learning for Missouri students
Eligibility and Participation Guidelines:
- A Gasconade County R-2 student who is interested in virtual learning must have been enrolled and attended the district at least one semester prior to this request.
- Students will be allowed to enroll in MOCAP courses if it is determined by the principal and/or IEP team that this method of learning is in the best interest of the student. If it is determined that MOCAP is not in the best educational interest of the student, they will be denied enrollment. The student and his/her guardian will have the option to appeal to the Board of Education for reconsideration.
- Students must register during the 15-30 day window prior to the first day of the semester. Request forms for virtual courses will not be accepted after 15 days prior to the start of the semester.
- Students must make adequate progress in the course, or they will be dropped from the course and credit will not be granted. If a student fails a course they cannot enroll in any other virtual courses.
- Students will be required to participate in state assessments for those courses required.
- The district will pay for classes equivalent to a full-time student.
- The district will not provide internet access for courses taken off campus nor any electronic components.
- Full-time students wishing to enroll in a virtual course will be given a study hall or like hour to complete online course work.
- The virtual course teacher becomes the teacher for the course; therefore, Gasconade County R-I teachers will not provide tutoring or assistance for online courses.
- Students wishing to participate MUST complete an online application.
Student Skills Necessary for Success in Virtual Courses:
- Student has demonstrated time-management skills that indicate the student is capable of submitting assignments and completing course requirements without reminders.
- Student has demonstrated persistence in overcoming obstacles and willingness to seek assistance when needed.
- Student has demonstrated verbal or written communication skills that would allow the student to succeed in an environment where the instructor may not provide nonverbal cues to support the student’s understanding.
- Student has the necessary computer or technical skills to succeed in a virtual course.
- Student has access to technology resources to participate in a virtual course.
- Consideration of the student’s previous success (or struggle) in virtual coursework.
- Virtual Education Request forms are due 15 days prior to the first day of the semester.
Virtual Education Enrollment Form
Board Policy and Procedure IGCD and IGCD-AP(1)
Student Handbook Page 59